Speech and Language Therapy
Speech and language therapy is concerned with the management of disorders of speech, language, communication and swallowing in children and adults. Speech and language therapists (SALTs) are allied health professionals. They work closely with parents, carers and other professionals such as teachers, nurses, occupational therapists and doctors (Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists, 2014).
In line with the Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists, at Underley Garden we:
Speech and Language Therapists support a variety of targets, including:
Ashleigh Moses – Speech and Language Therapist
• Works full time.
• PgDip in Speech and Language Therapy and BA in English Language and Linguistics.
• Has worked at Underley Garden since 2018.
• PECS trained (November 2018).
• Attended Makaton Foundation Workshop (September 2019).
• Attended Talking Mats Foundation (November 2019).
• Has completed post-graduate training in Sensory Integration Module 1, run by Collaborative for Leadership in Ayres Sensory Integration (CLASI).
Emma Brassington-Owens – Speech and Language Therapist
BSc Psychology and Speech Pathology
• Has worked at Underley Garden since 2014
• Works here three days a week; also has experience working in other mainstream and special schools
• Presented at the ‘National Autism Show’ (2019) and the ‘Autism Learns: Intervention and Therapies Webinar Series’ (2020)
• Attended training in the ‘Picture Exchange Communicate System’ (PECS)
• Attended ‘Makaton for Professionals Foundation Workshop’
• Attended ‘Getting Started with Grid’ and ‘Doing more with Grid’ training days
• Elkan Tutor; Communication Support for Children with Complex Needs, Total Training Package